Women's Leadership Network
Through our leadership, passion and investments, we intentionally light the way to empower Delaware County individuals and families to succeed.
- Steering Committee/Advisory Members
- Our WLN Priorities - Changing The Odds
- Ways to Engage with WLN
THANK YOU TO OUR ADVOCATES:
In February 2012 the United Way of Delaware County officially launched the Women's Leadership Network (WLN) with the guidance from 10 Delaware County women. Since that time, WLN, with over 500 advocates, has accumulatively invested over $1,000,000 in community programs that empower individuals and families to succeed. The Women's Leadership Network is one of the largest funders of social change in Delaware County. 100% of financial gifts flow directly to organizations we support.
The WLN has aligned with United Way of Delaware County to “Change the Odds” for individuals and families in our community. Our priorities include investing time and financial gifts to:
- TURNING POINT (Domestic Violence Shelter, Advocacy and Education)
WLN committed over $450,000 to the Turning Point Capital Campaign through FY19 and is dedicated to long-term involvement in this work.
- STRENGTHENING FAMILIES (A United Way initiative serving individual and families through the partnership with 40+ community partners).
WLN will provide volunteers and financial support to ensure increased reach and comprehensive services throughout the county.
- SUPPLIES FOR SCHOLARS (Founded by WLN in 2013, this annual back to school event serves nearly 2500 Delaware County children by providing the tools and resources that prepare kids for learning and success).
WLN is the lead sponsor for one large event in Delaware and several community distributions in every school district throughout Delaware County. WLN funding supports the purchase of back to school supplies, backpacks and other necessary items to ensure a successful event.
- Changing the Odds Scholarship (The WLN Scholarship Committee reviews scholarship applications in conjunction with the Delaware Area Career Center at various times throughout the year. The scholarship program is designed to support student's career goals by assisting with financial barriers and/or needed items to pursue their education).
- Contribute a minimum gift of $25 or more annually to WLN. Giving year is April 1st-March 31st each year.
- Receive monthly updates via eblast and social media
Select Women's Leadership Network from the United Way initiative dropdown below.
“One thing we can do is tell the people who value our opinion the things we care about. That’s why we share the mission of Strengthening Families and the need in our community. We are excited to impact one child at a time, one family at a time through holistic services. The changes we can make in people’s lives will be amazing!”
~ Karen Baesman, WLN Advocate and Strengthening Families Game Changers Co-Chair
"I serve on the WLN Steering Committee. I really enjoy volunteering at Supplies for Scholars each year. We help more than 2500 children receive free book bags, and other required school supplies AND free family activities, haircuts, and many other free resources are a part of the day. A favorite memory from volunteering was receiving the biggest hug from a second grade girl, when we found the Mermaid book bag she had wanted for a couple of years. I’m reminded of a favorite quote – 'service to others is the rent we pay for our room here on earth.' "
~ Angela Bretz, WLN Steering Committee
“The work that we did, starting with brainstorming around the dining room table and pixie dust meetings discussing the important issues that were impacting our county, all came to fruition. Because when you come together with a vision and you invite people to give of their time, talents and treasures the possibilities are endless.”
~ Marilyn McClure-Demers, WLN Founding Member and First WLN Chair
"Volunteering for Girls on the Run was amazing. Inspiring young women actually was empowering for me. What I took away from the experience was that if you want to volunteer don’t wait! Make the time for it now.”
~ Erika Panovsky, WLN Advocate and Strengthening Families Volunteer
“The WLN gave us our very first gift and we bought our property. From there we never looked back. Because of the WLN and community support you did it, we did it! We have a shelter! You made it happen! This is truly the most generous county. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for every man, woman and child who is going to be sheltered there."
~ Paula Roller, Executive Director Turning Point
“We sponsored a Born Learning Trail. Having twin grandsons we wanted to do something to dedicate to them. These trails promote active play and learning between parents, kids and families and are all over the county. What a great initiative.”
~ Judd Scott, United Way of Delaware County Board